What the best do better than everyone else (2009) by Jon Gordon
Training Camp follows the story of Martin Jones, an undrafted rookie trying to make it in the NFL. He spent his entire life proving to the critics that a small guy with a big heart can succeed against all odds. After spraining his ankle in the preseason, Martin thinks his dream is lost.. until he meets a very special coach.
Tips that I learn from the book
- How you train the mind is actually more important than how you train the body.
- It’s not ability that separates those who make the team from those who don’t. It’s sustainability. And sustainability has as much as to do with mental strength and mental preparation as it does physical health.
- Its your mind that will determine how well you perform in the long run.
- Those who have the most profound things to say often speak the least.
- Everyone says they want to be great but very few are willing to pay the price.
- Life was too short to be average.
- The best of the best is that They know what they truly want. They had a moment in their lives when their vision became clear.
- The best not only do the things that others won’t do and invest the time others won’t invest, but they also do so with passion and the intent to get better. The best are never satisfied with where they are. The third trait of the best is that they are always striving to get better.
- It’s the little things that separate the best from the rest. In striving to get better and working hard every day, the best realize that success is not about the big things. Success is all about the little things. Its doing all the little things overtime 10% ,5% or even 1% better than everyone else.
- Work hard on the right things.
- Focus on improving each day and to take the necessary action steps. If you incrementally improve each day, each week, each month, each quarter, by the end of the year, you’ll see remarkable results and growth. When you zoom focus on the process, the outcome will take care of itself.
- The best zoom focus to create a system and process to master the fundamentals.
- Every day, focus on continuous improvement and getting better.
- One person in pursuit of excellence raises the standards of everyone around them.