By Jon Gordon (2014)
This is an interesting book that tells a number of things in which a carpenter shares his wisdom. I am hooked after reading this book. Will look out for more Jon Gordon’s books in future.
1. There is a difference between a carpenter and a craftsman. A carpenter builds things. A craftsman creates a work of art.
2. The late and great Nelson Mandela said it best :
“I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed towards the sun, one’s feet moving forward. Anything is possible if a person believes”
3. Talk to yourself instead of listening to yourself. If I listen to myself, I hear all the negative thoughts, complaints, fears, doubts etc. If I talk to myself I can feed myself with the words and encouragement I need to finish the race.
4. The root cause of busyness and stress is fear.
5. The Way begins with love. Love is the antidote to the fear, busyness, and stress you feel. Do not fear failing. Do not fear losing clients. Do not fear that you won’t be successful. Do not fear that things do not go your way. Instead do everything with love and you will cast out fear, you will flow instead of stress and you will create more success than you could ever imagine.
6. Do everything with love and gratitude. Choosing to love, then, meant you were choosing to make a commitment that you will love regardless of how you feel and you will put love into action regardless of your circumstances.
7. Don’t be so busy chasing dollars and success. Make a difference and build meaningful relationships.
8. Love, Serve and Care. When you serve with love, it is actually energizing. When you serve with love and refresh others, you too will be refreshed. Serving leads to true success.
9. Serving is about doing little things each day to show people you love and care about them. It’s about doing small acts with a big heart and a big dose of love.
10. Caring draws people to you. We all want to work with people who care. We want to help people who care. When you care, you attract people like a magnet. When you care, you will inspire others to care.
11. When you love, serve and care, it shows you value others and in turn, your value to the world increases.
12. Anything worthwhile takes time to build. You aren’t a true success unless you are helping others to be successful. Success is meant to be shared.